What types of auctions do you offer? What are the different types of bidding?
There are two types of auctions available for online bidding, In Room (Live) and Online (Timed).
In Room (Live) auctions are real time sales that allow you watch the auction in progress and participate during the sale. To participate in a Live auction, from your computer, Morgan O’Driscoll uses the Invaluable Website. The date and time you see listed for Live sales are the time the auction begins. You can place an absentee bid on a lot in a live sale, either by downloading an Absentee Bid Form and sending it to Morgan O’Driscoll or through the Invaluable Website. If you are the highest absentee bidder, your bids will be placed automatically, one increment higher than the last in-room bid, until we have reached your maximum bid.
Telephone bids – an alternative manner to participate in the auction. A member of Morgan O’Driscoll’s staff will provide live participation on your behalf. You will be contacted by telephone just prior to the item being offered. As with absentee bidding, you must contact our office at least four hours in advance of the auction to arrange telephone bidding. Please note due to volume of telephone bid requests, this service is available on a first come-first served basis. Click here to download our Telephone Bid Form.
You can also place live bids during the auction through Invaluable. If you have registered and been approved to bid, please follow the steps below:
- Sign into your Invaluable account using your email address and password
- Click Upcoming Auctions
- Locate the auction you would like to bid in, and click the Bid Now button to open the bidder console
- When the green Bid Now button displays the price you would like to bid, just click the button to place your bid
Online (Timed) auctions are internet-only auctions that are run from a set time. Each lot has a specific end time. These auctions allow you to place bids for a particular lot, if a bid is placed within the last five minutes of the allotted time, the timer is reset for another five minutes, allowing emails to be sent to interested parties, so they can place another bid. If no further bids are placed within the last five minutes, the highest bidder wins that lot. The five minute rule means the timer is reset every time a bid is placed within the last five minutes, until such a time as no further bids are placed. Whoever has the highest bid when the time runs out wins the lot. The date and time you see listed for Timed auctions are the time that bidding on the first lot ends (see the five minute rule above).
You must be logged into your Morgan O’Driscoll Account in order to place a bid. You can place a maximum bid on an item, if you are outbid, the system will email you to inform you that you have been outbid and invite you to make another bid if you so desire. Bids on Online auctions can be made at any time from when the catalogue is made live on the Morgan O’Driscoll website, if you are registered with us you will be sent an email indicating that the latest auction has been made live
Do I have to register for an auction before I can start placing bids?
To participate in an In Room (Live) or Online (Timed) auction, you must first register to bid for the sale.
Registration for attending and Bidding in an In Room auction is simple, it takes just a couple of minutes to fill in the form and get your paddle number. This registration can be done during any of the previews or just before the auction is about to commence, please ask any member of the Morgan O’Driscoll Team, they will be happy to help.
If you wish to bid for an item at an In Room (Live) auction but do so online, please first register for an Account on the Morgan O’Driscoll Website, the link is in the top right of the screen. Then follow the link to the Invaluable Website and then register with them.
To bid in an Online auction, please register for an account on the Morgan O’Driscoll website, once an account has been created, that’s your account, there is no need to re-register for further auctions.
How do I register to bid for an upcoming auction?
To register to bid for an upcoming auction, please follow the steps below:
- Go to the Upcoming Auctions page to see a list of all future sales
- Click on the auction you’re interested in. This will take you to the catalogue page (s) where you can view all items in the catalogue
- Click the Register link that is displayed at the top right of the page or next to each lot
- You are now on the Register For a Morgan O’Driscoll Account page
- Provide the information requested and be sure to check off the confirmation box at the bottom of the registration page to agree to the house’s terms and conditions. Then click Register button
- You have created an account, you will receive a confirmation email. You are now ready to place a bid
- Log into your Morgan O’Driscoll Account, you are ready to Bid
Browse through the online catalogue, any item that you wish to bid on, simply click on the Place Bid button, you can either place a single bid or enter a maximum bid. If you place a maximum bid of € 500.00, say on an item that already has a bid of 100.00 on it, the system will place a bid for you starting at 120.00, if the other bidder has no further bids in the system, you will have the winning bid at that stage. The system will increase your bids as other bidders place a bid.
If you have been outbid the system will email you, you can then place another bid. Watched Lots, the system allows you to follow lots you are interested in, even if you have not placed a bid. You will find the Watch this Lot button below the Bid Now button. You can access your watched lots for an auction through your account.
I registered for an Account to bid in an auction. How do I know if I'm approved?
You'll be notified by email when your request to set up an account has been approved. Once you have an account setup with Morgan O’Driscoll, you can bid in any of the online auctions run by Morgan O’Driscoll.
- Who do I contact for questions about an auction's terms and conditions? You must review and agree to the online terms and conditions and terms and conditions when registering or bidding in an upcoming auction. Should you have any questions about our terms, please contact us directly firstname.lastname@example.org.